Wednesday 7 September 2016

500 rational

500 Word rationale

My SSRP will focus on the topic of over sexualisation of characters in high concept movies and how the star as an auteur is now about appearance rather than performance. 

First draft title  

In my SSRP I will be looking at how in high concept movies actors both male and female are being objectified and over sexualised in their roles. Also I shall be looking at how far these conventions are challenged in terms of censorship. The possible title for my SSRP is ‘Why are actors over sexualised and objectified in high concept movies’ because I shall be looking at how their appearance is used (to generate audience etc.) I shall explore both men and women when researching this subject discussing difference and similarities between how the two sexes are shown.

Primary Research

Focus film; My focus film in my SSRP is ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon’(2011 Michael Bay), I have chosen to use this film as my focus film because of specifically the over sexualisation and reliance of Rosie Huntington Whiteley’s appearance in the movie. I believe that her presence in the movie is the most obvious portrayal of how high concept movies are now relying on something else from an auteur. The movie is a blatant use of over sexualisation and objectification to make a profit, also being certified as a PG is another reason why I chose this movie as my focus film. Furthermore, the fact that this movie is directed by Hollywood giant Michael Bay represents the direction auteurs are willing to take their work.

 Related Films

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon 2015). I chose this film because of the contrast between the two lead females Avengers and Transformers. The difference between Rosie Huntington Whitelely and Scarlett Johansson is vast in terms of performance repertoire. I also chose this film because the lead males are also objectified in the movie and all of the actors and characters in this movie will be reused again which further translates the way that they must appear. The key reason why I am using this film is because Scarlett Johansson was heavily pregnant when filming so all over shots to do with the film were edited to hide her pregnant stomach.

Jurassic World (Colin Trevorrow 2015). I decided to look at Jurassic World because of the way the man is more sexualised than the woman in this movie. I also chose this film because of Chris Pratt being in the movie, I believe he is the best example of how important appearance is to make it Hollywood.


-        Mark Kermode’s review of Transformers 3



-        Jessica Chastain’s interview on over sexualisation of women in Hollywood high concept films. 



Notes; I am trying to find a specific interview with Sarah Parish where she mentions her opinion on how Hollywood is equally relying on mens appearance as well as women but am still looking for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment